We must be thankful to God for all things. He gives us all the good things. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. James 1:17. It is amazing to me that people blame God for bad things which happen and never give thanks for the good things. God doesn't do the bad things. He gets the blame. He does the good things but does not receive thanks for them. This world is just upside down!
Some good things for which we should give thanks:
1. The Bible. This is God speaking to mankind. He has been so gracious to give us his words. You can know everything that God has revealed to us. This revelation is not for the highly-educated only. It is for the common people as well. You should enjoy reading God's word. Some people read only the passages that make them feel good. The parts which condemn sin is written for our good as well. Be thankful for the Bible.
2. God's plan to save mankind. This plan comes from His love for mankind. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16. It is an amazing plan. God sent His only Son into the world to die for people in sin. His blood washes away the sins. He did not give us hard commands to obey to fulfill this plan from our side. We are commanded to believe the Bible, repent of past sins, confess Jesus as His Son and be buried with Him in baptism for the remission of our sins. This brings us into good standing with God. He knew that we would sin after becoming a Christian and made another simple plan to have those sins washed away (again by the blood of Jesus). Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you. Acts 8:22. This was told to Simon who had become a Christian by obeying the gospel. When he sinned, this was the command given to him. We have another passage written to Christians. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:7-9. Be thankful for God's plan for our salvation.
3. Jesus His Son. This one was born of a virgin. He grew up in the area of Palestine. He spent about 30 years in private life. Then he preached around the area for about three and one half years. He performed many miracles -- healing, casting out demons, even raised the dead. Then as God had planned, he was crucified on the cross for the sins of all mankind. His death was a shock to His disciples, even though he had told them different times what would happen. God raised Him from the dead. He ascended to heaven. He is in heaven with the Father. He has become our Lord, master, savior, high priest He is our everything. Be thankful for Jesus the Son of the living God.
4. The church. The church is the family of God. When God created Adam He knew that man needed a family. We have earthly families. The church is our spiritual family. We can rely upon each other. We can lift each other up when we fall. We can correct each other to bring us out of sin. We can help each other bear our burdens. Be thankful for the church.
Giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5:20.
Please continue to remember the following in your prayers: Don Magill, Bill Fry (Mary Jo Fry's son), Bob and Betty Spiker, Judy Curry, Mark Allen, Loretta Sullivan, Betty Britton (coworker of Inis Kearbey), Tammy Summers (Geneva Magill's neice), Joe Taylor (Mary Taylor's son)
Helena Gardner is dealing with lung cancer, and the cancer is also now in her backbone. Please keep Helena in your prayers.
U. L. Smith has not been doing very well lately. Please keep U. L. and Edna Merle in your prayers.
Our sympathy is extended to LouEllen Goin and family. Her father, Kermit Willis, passed away last week. Please keep this family in your prayers.
Our sympathy is also extended to Bill and Sharon Hewlett and family. Bill's aunt's house blew up recently, and his aunt was killed in the accident.
Lavena Hillis' brother-in-law, Virgil Hillis, passed away and the funeral was last week in Fisk. Please also keep this family in your prayers.
Bobby Miller's uncle who lived in Rolla, passed away last week. Our sympathy is extended to Bobby and the family.
Tommy Williams' cousin, Charlie Pinkerton's mother is in the hospital. Please keep her in your prayers.
Dale Swain, member of the church at Fisk, had surgery on Wednesday. At the time of this writing he was still in the local hospital.
Donis and Betty's stepmother, Alma McCray who lives in West Virginia, fell and broke her hip and collarbone recently and is in critical condition. Please keep her in your prayers.
Nadine Barton has been ill lately. Please keep her in your prayers.
DEALING WITH CANCER: Freda Lancaster, Tom Huff, Edna Kenser, Susan South, Dan Gregg, Harold Shaw, and Helena Gardner.
CONFINED TO HOME: Leonard Bates, Pat Ivy, Dathel Webber, Marvella Howe, and Harold Culp.
NURSING HOMES: Wanda Ashby in River Mist; U. L. Smith, Alvoy Richardson, Terry Butler, Ruby Dunn, Susan South and Lavena Hillis in Westwood; Leoma Owens and Bill Thornberry in Oakdale.
Please note: Our mid-week Bible Study this week will be on Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m.
A memorial gift was sent to the Children's Home in behalf of our dear sister, Bea Hitt, the sister of Ruby Dunn. Bea Hitt and her wonderful talent will be missed greatly. Our prayers are with Ruby and her family. The Elders
You are all invited to a Birthday Party for Gladys Hill celebrating her 90th birthday. The party will be this evening, following service, here at the building. (No gifts please).
The next Children's Home food/supply pick-up will be February 16, 2015. Items needed this quarter are: Dry Cereal, Cookies, Cooking Spray, Flavored Instant Oatmeal Packets, Grated Parmesan Cheese, and HE (high efficiency) Laundry Detergent.
The Highland Food Pantry is now in need of restocking. If you would like to help with this, items needed most are: canned vegetables, canned fruit, cereal, soup, crackers, dried beans, rice, juice, jelly, and any other non-perishable items.
Hindrances to Thanksgiving ~
"Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, 'The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.' Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; nor murmur, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed by the destroyer." (1 Corinthians 10:6-10)
Christians should be always thankful. However, the truth of the matter is that we are often unthankful; we frequently go about our everyday affairs without thinking of where our blessings come from, or of how we should be grateful for life and all things we enjoy. Israel is a tragic example of ingratitude. In 1 Corinthians chapter 10, Paul mentions several things that hindered them from being thankful.
1. They lusted after evil (verse 6). They were not thankful for what they had, nor the good that God had provided. Their discontent prompted them to seek things that God had prohibited, things which destroyed their spirituality.
2. They were idolatrous (verse 7). Their minds were divided. Their loyalty was shattered. They turned from the divine power of the Creator and manifested the lowest form of ingratitude: "... nor were they thankful" (Romans 1:21).
3. They focused on the sensual (verse 8). They became base, giving license to their fleshly desires. Those who live on the level of brute beasts will not likely be thankful.
4. They tempted Christ (verse 9). They were not satisfied with the food and provisions that God sent; they were not thankful for the daily bread He gave.
Let us avoid the terrible mistakes Israel made; let us rather be thankful.
-- Colin McKee, (article taken from The Voice of Truth
International, Vol. 3)
A Beautiful Life
A beautiful life is made,
Not left to happenstance.
Each word of kindness,
Each thoughtful deed
Is painted into the work of art
-- by Martha Oliver Williams, (from "Windows")
One day, you'll just be a memory to some people; do your best to be a good one.
(taken from the Parsons church
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. Read also Matthew 7:24-27
Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him; for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Read also Mark 16:15-16, James 2:24, John 12:42
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Read also Acts 17:30, Luke 13:3
Acts 8:36-37 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water; and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If you believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Read also Matthew 10:32-33
Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. Read also Acts 2:38 and Romans 6:3-4
2 Timothy 4:7-8 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. Read also Revelation 2:10
Bible Study . ..... 9:00 a.m.
Morning Worship... .10:00 a.m.
Evening Worship ......... 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday Bible Study...7:00 p.m.
Westwood Hills Nursing Home Service
Wednesday .............. 10:00 a.m.
Tom Carter .... ........ . 785-7455
Charles Lancaster .... .......... 785-8748
Mark North .................................. 686-2230
Ralph Nelson ....................... cell # 776-4655
home # 785-7773
Lorenzo Sandlin ..... ......... . 785-4118
Stacey Ward ... ......... 718-8198
Vernon Curry ......................cell# 714-8240
Highland Drive Church of Christ
1601 Highland Drive
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901